Best Exercise Bikes for Seniors - Guide and Review
In cycling, there are different types of bikes you can choose — outdoor road bikes and indoor spin bikes. For older bikers who have not yet giving up on having a regular spin session a recumbent bike is highly recommended.
This is because recumbent bikes have many benefits for an older person who has suffered conditions that are common with their age.
Ultimately recumbent bikes make pedaling easier and more comfortable because the pedals are located in front of you, rather than having to put pressure and stress on your knees, ankles, feet and joints; is lower to the ground to make positioning yourself on it easier; as well as providing support to your lower back.
The recumbent bike is easy to adjust to your height and preferences and allows you to do a variety of workouts from the comfort of your living room.
Recommended Product Reviews
Designed to offer comfort and a smooth, effective workout, the Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent bike is perfect for seniors who are unable to perform intense exercise.
Because of the oversized seat and adjustable backrest, the user can have a longer session and get results as if they had performed an extreme workout.
As one of the top rated recumbent bikes on the market right now, it is affordable and highly recommended to individuals who have a health condition.
- Smooth torque cranking system: This means that this bike offers smooth and consistent pedaling, which makes it the perfect fit for individuals with knee pain.
- Oversized seat and adjustable backrest: A thick cushion on the seat and adjustable backrest provide support to your body so you won’t experience soreness in your butt or back.
- 8-level magnetic resistance: This feature allows you to quickly adjust the speed of your workout.
- LCD monitor: The monitor will track your progress during your workout, from distance, calories burned, time elapsed, speed, to even heart rate. This allows you to monitor your progress and track your target heart rate.
- This recumbent bike has a 300 lb. weight capacity.
- Precision balance flywheel and V-belt Drive: This helps to provide a smooth and quiet workout even if you are varying your speed in pedaling.
This product is the perfect solution for a small space.
The small footprint and versatility of this machine — it can be used by either hands or feet — allow for a quick workout without taking up a large amount of space.
This machine makes little to no noise and can be used from the comfort of your favorite chair. You do not have to worry about an uncomfortable seat getting in the way of your exercise any longer. Pull this machine up next to your favorite chair and pedal away while watching the news before bed.
- Adjustable resistance: This allows you to customize your workout’s intensity easily.
- Digital LCD screen: The monitor tracks RPM, distance, time, speed and the number of calories burned.
- Portable: Coming in under 15 pounds, this machine is portable and perfect for taking to an office or using in your home and then putting away.
- Anti-slip rubber feet: These feet prevent the peddler from sliding away or damaging your floors.
- Multi-purpose: This is probably the best feature, not only can you use this to pedal, you can also use this to work out your upper body as well.
While this is more like a true bike and does not boast a wide comfortable seat or back support, it is ideal for the individual who is looking to not only work out their lower body, but also their upper body.
This provides a low-impact cardio workout that will help you work out your arms with a dual-action arms back and forth while you pedal.
The fan might help to keep you cool while you are exercising, but it serves a bigger purpose — to create unlimited amounts of resistance. The faster you pedal there is a larger amount of cool air that is produced.
- Adjustable seat and height: This bike, which has a steel body, is is suggested to individuals who are less than 5’6” tall and to those individuals who weigh less than 250 pounds.
- Display monitor: This bike tracks time, distance, speed, and calories burned. These are displayed in large text on a digital monitor to help you reach your goals.
- Adjustable resistance - A the turn of a knob, the difficulty level of your workouts can be increased or decreased.
- Dual action: The handlebars are always moving while you are using the bike, but if you choose not to use them, they are attached in a way that would not affect your use of the bike.
Much like the Exerpeutic 900XL, the Marcy ME 709 boasts an oversized padded seat which provides comfort and support while cycling.
Because of the design of the seat, a long cycling session could result in you becoming uncomfortable.
The low profile of this machine, coupled with the “walk-through” area, allows it to be the perfect option for senior. Without having to balance to get your leg over to the other side, simply take a seat, put your feet into the pedals and you are ready to go.
The seat is about the same height as a standard coach is from the floor, making it the perfect height if you have trouble getting up from lower positions. If heart rate is important to you, consider looking into a bike that has a heart rate monitor built-in, such as the Exerpeutic 900XL.
- LCD screen: The machine will track your speed, distance, time and calories burned in a display easily visible from the seat.
- Small footprint: The compact size of the bike is ideal for smaller spaces and is not an eyesore when you walk into a room.
- Easily assembled: This bike is easy to assemble and use.
The unique feature of this bike, the ability to fold it to at least half its full size, gives seniors who do not have a lot of storage space peace of mind.
The added stability and ergonomic seating make this one of the best options for seniors.
This bike boasts a lot of the same feature of the Exerpeutic 900XL, like a large comfortable bucket seat which provides maximum comfort and support. Ideally, the user would be between 5’2” and 6’2” and weigh no more than 300 pounds.
One of the main features that sets this apart from the rest is its portability because of the size. For easy storage or transportation, the bike can be folded to half its size allowing it to easily put put into closets or car trunks. And despite it’s size, the Exerpeutic 400XL is very powerful and durable.
- The semi recumbent design allows for easy entry and exit.
- The user is able to easily control the 8-level magnetic tension system through the entire workout.
- A three piece, high-torque crank system provides smooth and consistent pedaling which is ideal for individuals who have knee injuries or pain.
Overall, it comes down to which type of bike is going to work best for you. If you have trouble maintaining your heart rate, you should consider purchasing a recumbent bike which has that feature built in, such as the Exerpeutic 900XL.
If you are looking for something that is small and takes up no room at all —perhaps something to fit under a desk—the portable peddler might be the best option for you.
You should consider what you are getting for your money and how much space you are willing to give to the machine — maybe a folding option that can be tucked away is best for you. Each of these bikes are the top rated on the market right now and have many great features.